Friday, 15 July 2011

ELEPHANT


DT CALL AT SUNDAYS WITH CRISSY.


Have you ever wanted something so much that you've tried too hard and things haven't worked out the way you would have liked?  I think that's where I've been - so I have decided just do my best after all the reason for crafting is the enjoyment it brings. 

On the positive side I have tried various techniques - unfortunately not all have been successful, but on the positive side I have discovered what I like and what I don't.  I even thing I've discovered my own style.  I like structure and balance to my creations and like edges finished - sometimes matting and layering isn't enough! 
  • machine sewing - I have really like the results.  Adds elegance, style and finesse.
  • paper piecing - Again I like the results although it does take a time to cut out properly.  Would not use such dark colours on a child image again.
  • image - after choosing image, choose papers and draw out an idea of sketch before colouring image.  Alot easy to match colours this way.  Although you have an idea of sketch you still can change, play with etc to create the look you want.
  • distressing - all forms, inks, tearing, embossing etc
  • watercolouring - would like to work on this technique and try colouring with distressing inks.

That said - Today I used this gorgeous elephant stamp drawn by Chrissy Armstrong and available from Whimsy stamps.

Thought I'd try something new, other people have probably already discovered this but I've not seen it done before.  Printed my digi papers out and stamped the elephant on one of them.  This gave me a background that blending perfectly with the papers and wasn't scark white which I've found I don't always like!



Techniques:

Machine sewing - edges
Dying ribbon



Medium:
Copics and Promarkers

Papers:
Digital papers
Plain cardstock - Crafters Companion
Dies used:
Butterfly - Spellbinders
Embellishments:
Clear gems
Transfers - wording
Mixture of flowers
American binding ribbon
Button
Best wishes,
Challenges I'm entering this into

Sundays with Crissy - DT Call
Crafty Sentiments - Use Stitching
Do you stack up? - Stitching
Meljens Designs - Buttons and bows
Rainbow Ladies - Stitching
The Rubber Cafe - Use Spellbinders

19 comments:

WencheP said...

Very cute. Fabulous coloring. Love the details. Thank you for joining us at Do You Stack Up.

-Wenche

jackid said...

beautiful card love the image and colours you have used very sweet
Jacki xx

Liz said...

Love that image and this is another card crafted and coloured to perfection

Liz xxxxxxx

Peggysue said...

Totally sweet card Sharon. It must be a very slight pattern on the paper you printed for your image, 'cuz I can't see it! Your coloring is beautiful and I love the sentiment being on the butterfly. I’m glad you joined us for the Do You Stack Up? SEW challenge & hope to see your creativity here again!

Rainbow Lady said...

Super card and love the stitching. Thanks for playing Love Cynthia x

Crissy Armstrong said...

Sweet job on this one too! I love the girly look on the card and the soft colours! Thank you so much for another entry into my DT call!

coldwaters2 said...

Hi Sharon this is a little beauty the papers look lovely and I adore that cute image, the embellishments are beautiful.
Hugs
Lorraine x

Denise and Louise said...

Beautiful card - such a sweet image. Thanks for playing along with us at DYSU this week xx

Shell Shearer Swinscoe said...

really sweet image hun, just love your LO!

Thank you for sharing with us at Crafty Sentiments this week, good luck!
Hugs Shell xx

Hazel (Didos) said...

Lovely Card, thanks for playing on our stitching challenge on Crafty Sentiments this week, Hazelxox

starcyl said...

So pretty and I love the elephant, have used this image myself a few times. Thanks for joining us at Rainbow Lady's this week.
Jenny x

Robin Parker said...

Wow, what a clever way to incorporate the Buttons and Bows challenge into your creation. Thanks for sharing on the Meljen's Designs Challenge.

Jen said...

Lovely card. Thanks for sharing with us at Rainbow Lady's this week.
Jen x

kurlygirl said...

Simply gorgeous! I love all the details. I'm still finding my style too. It's so fun to try new things. Great job with this! Thanks for joining us for the Do You Stack Up Challenge Blog Sew: Faux or Real Challenge! Please join us again for the next challenge!

~Heather
Kurly-Q

Katja said...

What a pretty card!!! Love this cute elephant! Thanks for sharing this at Meljen's Design Team & Challenge Blog! Much greetings, Katja (Meljen's DT)

Kim. said...

Aw this is such a cute card, beautiful image coloured perfectly and pretty embellishments too. Thanks for joining us at Crafty Sentiments Designs this week.
Kim xXx

Sprytebyrd said...

Lovely card! Such great colors and I love the dotty paper!
Thanks so much for playing along at Meljen's Designs this week!
Hugs!! Dee Sprytebyrd's Sentiments

Robbie said...

Such a sweet card. Love that adorable lil elephant and your button/bow.So glad you shared with us at MelJen's your 'Buttons and Bows' creation this week.

Tenny Kusuma said...

Cute and CUTE. Thank you for playing along with DYSU challenge this week.